Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Season and taste, then do it again - till it's right!

The first time I make a new recipe, I follow it exactly - after that, it's open season(ing)!  Herbs and seasonings can be a mystery to many cooks, so, for what its worth, I thought I would give you my general rules. Seasonings are the next best thing to having a wonderful, magic soup stone.


1. TASTE. season. taste again....If you're not sure, find another 'taster' in your house who will be honest with you. You don't need a solution from your taster, just a 'yes' or 'no, it's not quite there'.


2. If "something seems to be missing" when you taste it, then it probably needs salt.  I use sea salt or kosher salt, so give it a minute to dissolve and blend when making adjustments.


3. This is obvious, but cannot be overstated - you can always add more salt or seasoning, you can't easily take it out. Add a small amount, one thing at a time, mix it in well, give it a minute to blend, then taste again. 


4. Herbs lose their potency when they get old....ok, I am sure this is devastatingly wrong from a true cook's point of view, but to be totally practical - they're danged expensive! And sometimes, with an herb/seasoning I do not use frequently, I didn't realize how long it had been sitting in the cupboard until I need it ....If it's an older bottle, I use more. Be sure to add it to a list of things to replace, when you can.


5. General rules for which herbs are used with which foods are only that - GENERAL rules. Sage and thyme are typically used with poultry, but rosemary or tarragon can be wonderful too.  Italian seasonings - garlic, basil, oregano - are not just for pasta; think Greek-style fried potatoes topped with tomatoes, onions and peppers, and lots of oregano!  Pickling spice is not just for pickles - toss some in the water when you boil a corned beef.  And what the heck is marjoram for? Sometimes I add it to a pot roast, among other things.  Try dill with scrambled eggs. Experiment!


6. I don't know if this would work for anyone else, but  - when I am cooking something and making it up as I go, I crush an herb, or open a bottle of herbs/spice, and use my sence of smell, considering whether it is a flavor I would like to add to my dish.


And when it doesn't work, remember Edison, who said '...I have gotten a lot of results! I know several thousand things that won't work!'  Just keep on experimenting!







No comments:

Post a Comment